For many, classic dough balls are a childhood favourite – and for good reason! Recreate the magic at home in your Ooni pizza oven. Served with a herby garlic butter dip, small and big hands alike can enjoy these simple but delicious doughy comforts.
- 500g classic pizza dough
- 60g soft butter
- Handful parsley, finely chopped
- 3-4 cloves garlic, crushed
- Olive oil, for greasing
- Ooni Cast Iron Skillet
- Small ceramic cup
- Prepare your pizza dough ahead of time. Our guide to making the perfect Classic Pizza Dough covers everything you need to know.
- Lightly grease your Cast Iron Skillet with olive oil. Divide your dough into roughly 18-20 portions and use your hands to shape each portion into a small ball.
- Place your ceramic cup in the center of the skillet, then add your dough balls in a circular pattern around the cup and around the edges of the pan. Don’t worry If there are small gaps between the balls, they will expand while cooking.
- Once your dough balls are nestled in, cover the skillet with a damp cloth and leave to rest at room temp for 30 minutes.
- Fire up your Ooni pizza oven. Aim for 500˚C on the baking stone inside. You can check the temperature inside your Ooni quickly and easily using an Infrared Thermometer.
- In a bowl, mix together your soft butter, parsley and crushed garlic. Set aside.
- Turn your hot oven completely off and place the skillet inside. Cook for 3-4 minutes in the residual heat, turning halfway through. This helps cook the bottom of the dough balls first. Once the balls have puffed up and are beginning to smell cooked, turn the oven back onto a low flame. Cook for a further 4-5 minutes, making sure to turn the skillet regularly to ensure an even cook.
- When the dough balls are cooked and golden brown, remove the skillet from the oven. Spoon your garlic butter into the hot cup, and brush an even layer of the butter mix across the dough balls.
- Serve right away while the butter is still melting!