If you’ve ever found yourself craving that crunchy thin crust pizza, look no further. This easy thin crust pizza dough is the perfect tonic: with a stronger dough made from flour and semolina, it’s cooked for slightly longer at a lower temperature. Resulting in deliciously crisp pizza that won’t let you down, no matter how many toppings you load on.
Perfect for movie nights, pizza parties, or for devouring all at once!
Makes 7 x 240g dough balls for 12 inch pizzas, or 5 x 330g dough balls for 16 inch pizzas.
- 600g water
- 30g sea salt
- 0.8g active dried yeast or 0.7g instant dried yeast or 2g fresh yeast
- 950g flour (preferably type 00 flour)
- 50g fine semolina flour
- 20g (1 ½ tbsp) extra virgin olive oil
- Pour 90% of the water into a bowl and dissolve in the yeast. Add half the flour and mix slowly until it turns into a paste like texture, then slowly add in the remaining flour.
- Once a rough looking dough begins to form, start kneading the dough with your hands. Add a little more of the remaining water and continue kneading. Keep adding the water a little at a time, allowing the dough to absorb the water before adding more. When you only have a little water left, add the salt and remaining water and knead. Finally, add the olive oil and knead until the dough is firm and stretchy.
- Place the dough onto a lightly floured work surface and shape into a ball. Cover and let rest for 30 minutes. Once rested, portion the dough into 5 or 7 equal balls, depending on what size you want your pizzas to be (12 inches or 16 inches). Place the balls in a tray/container, cover, and leave to rest for 2 hours at room temp.
- After two hours, place the dough in the refrigerator for 24-48 hours. Roughly 4-6 hours before you’re ready to start cooking, remove the dough balls from the refrigerator and leave to come to room temperature.
- Fire up your Ooni pizza oven. Aim for 350˚C on the baking stone inside. You can check the temperature inside your Ooni quickly and easily using an Infrared Thermometer.
- Using a small amount of flour, dust your Ooni pizza peel. Stretch the pizza dough ball out to your desired size and lay it out on your pizza peel and add your toppings.
- If using gas, turn the flame off completely. Slide the pizza off the peel and into your oven. Use the residual heat to slowly cook the pizza. After 1 minute, turn the pizza and cook for another minute before turning the flame back on to low. Keep turning the pizza to evenly brown the crust and finish it off. If using wood or charcoal, aim for a low flame for the duration of your cook.
- Once cooked, remove the pizza from the oven. Garnish with any extra toppings, and serve hot!