Classic Pizza Sauce
Meet your new favorite pizza sauce! This fresh, flavor-packed pizza sauce requires only three main ingredients and a few quick minutes of prep time.
Since this tomato sauce is not cooked, the flavor of the tomatoes really shines through. So do yourself a favor and use the tastiest tomatoes you can find. We love tinned San Marzano tomatoes because of their fresh, ultra-tomato-y taste and great texture.
Makes enough sauce for 8 x 12 inch pizzas
- 800g tinned Whole San Marzano tomatoes
- 3g garlic cloves, finely sliced
- 8ml extra virgin olive oil
- 3g salt
- Sugar (optional)
- Basil (optional)
- In a pot, crush the tomatoes to a mildly chunky texture using a masher or a food mill. You can optionally use a hand blender, but be careful not to blend too long or you will loose a lot of texture from the sauce.
- Add the garlic, salt and olive oil to the tomatoes and mix. Taste and add more salt if desired.
- If the sauce is too tangy, add sugar while tasting to balance out the natural acidity of the tomatoes.
- Optionally, tear up some basil leaves by hand and mix them into the sauce.
- Use immediately, store in the fridge for up to 1 week, or freeze for up to 3 months.